WideFetish Forum
October 18, 2017, 05:56:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: To receive email from WideFetish.com, be sure to adjust your "whitelist" settings.  Seems the word "fetish" is a notorious spam filter trigger!

If you are browsing this forum as a GUEST, you are missing quality content that is only visible to MEMBERS.  Sign up is free, quick, and painless.  Forum members also receive our quasi monthly email newsletter that is chock full of wide info, special announcements, and other crap.  Sign up!

If you came here from some other realm, be sure to see our main pages at http://www.WideFetish.com

Be sure to check out the WideStore for your wide shopping needs.  http://widefetish.com/store/widefetish_store.html

Check out the WideFetish YouTube Channel  http://www.youtube.com/widefetish

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how to carry water in the wide  (Read 3999 times)
Larry
5.6 Fist

« on: January 15, 2014, 03:35:08 PM »

During those wide climbs that are long enough that you want more than a rope, a rack and the shirt on your back, namely a little water...how do you carry it? What if you want a lot of water, say, three liters or more?

I know this sounds like a newbie question. I'm just looking for any creative solutions to this problem out there.

Maybe you just go thirsty.
Ed Hartouni
JayBro Status

Living in the past

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 12:04:55 AM »

"a little water" = 3 liters ?

usually I'll take 3 liters for a long day.

A 1 liter nalgene bottle with a strap I can clip with a 'biner
eg: http://www.backcountrygear.com/nalgene-bottle-belt.html?gclid=CO3L39rVibwCFTHZQgodSmAA9Q

so it can also be moved out of the way. This works for me... clip it to your harness (usually starts out on the butt loop) and move it when you need to.
Larry
5.6 Fist

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 02:53:56 PM »

Oops, guess I shouldn'ta cut the gear loops off my harness.

Yeah, Ed, any more than 3 liters is too heavy.

I'm going to try using Platypus bottles in a small messenger bag.
RussWalling
Administrator
Wide Zombie

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 05:00:40 PM »

hmmm.... I just don't bring any water.   Kiss

*** buy some swag!!!  http://www.FishProducts.com ***
goatboy
Did "Cream" naked

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 11:28:34 AM »

Have the second carry the water so it doesn't interfere with the leaders mojo. [/capt.obvious]

Clip the water loop or pack to the belay loop or thread it through the harness with a 6' to 7' piece
of webbing then they can take the pack off or unclip the bottle and have it hang between their
legs when doing the dirty deed.

What climb are you going to do?

Willoughby
5.10c OW

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 06:23:58 PM »

I'm planning on Steck-Salathe for July, and have been pondering the same problem.  By all accounts, dragging a pack up all those chimneys is a bastard, but I know myself well enough to know that I'm gonna get thirsty and bonk if I don't have a little water along.  I do like the Brutus recommendation of scoping the descent gully the day before and stashing some water and shoes up top.  But still, I'm no camel, and it's going to be a full day for this guy.  I'll let you know what works for me, or doesn't, this summer...
crotch
5.9 Squeeze

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 02:25:51 PM »

If you enchain NEB and Braille Book it's a pretty good test run for the Steck-Salathe and a great way to dial in your water, snack, and approach shoe situation.

On Steck-Salathe our shoes & jackets were on our harnesses, and snacks in pants pockets.  I'm pretty sure we had one 2L camelbak for the follower to carry rigged with a sling so that it could be hung from the belay loop.  We may have also had a 1L gatorade bottle on the leader's harness.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 02:33:27 PM by crotch » Logged
goatboy
Did "Cream" naked

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 07:35:45 PM »

Another option is to pick up a pack of Ricola cough drops.
Menthol flavor is the best.

I use to carry a few of these and for some reason they would
help cure that copper cotton mouth I would get on long day out.

Technically it's not a replacement for water but they do work if you
are looking at 6 to 8 hours out without water.
Anything longer and you will be suffering.
Jaybro
Wide Zombie

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 12:48:10 PM »

Drink as much as you possibly can (then more) at the bar ( edit, base not bar) beforehand and carry a small amount, and don't do it on a hot smokey day!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 08:41:31 PM by Jaybro » Logged
Will
Bends it like Scuffy

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 12:31:05 PM »

On the SS, there aren't issues until the upper half of the route. On the lower pitches, you can clip something to one or the other side of harness and it won't be in the way. Wilson, clip crap on your left. Pitch above, clip it on your right side.

I think a good strategy is to take commerical bottled water in those really thin crushable bottles, rigged with athletic tape or thin cord at the neck for a clip in loop. Crush them as you go, and hen you get to the chimneys on the upper half, just clip whatever bottles you have left to a sling, hang that off your tether/daisy along with the rest of the unused pro, and let it hang below your feet.

And yeah, don't go when there is a raging wildfire filling the air with smoke. Unless you enjoy choking on your uvula. And if you enjoy that, maybe a different kind of fetish site is for you?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: