WideFetish Forum
November 22, 2017, 08:47:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: To receive email from WideFetish.com, be sure to adjust your "whitelist" settings.  Seems the word "fetish" is a notorious spam filter trigger!

If you are browsing this forum as a GUEST, you are missing quality content that is only visible to MEMBERS.  Sign up is free, quick, and painless.  Forum members also receive our quasi monthly email newsletter that is chock full of wide info, special announcements, and other crap.  Sign up!

If you came here from some other realm, be sure to see our main pages at http://www.WideFetish.com

Be sure to check out the WideStore for your wide shopping needs.  http://widefetish.com/store/widefetish_store.html

Check out the WideFetish YouTube Channel  http://www.youtube.com/widefetish

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Valley Giant - Placement Q?  (Read 4987 times)
CalicoJack
5.6 Fist

« on: April 03, 2013, 01:29:44 PM »

Hey there,

Finally got my hands on a VG#9.  My wife even bought it for me - go figure!

So, just wondering about the placement range on this thing.  Saw a video with Tom R. from the 'Wideboyz' where he mentioned that the WC #6 could be quite serviceable when lobes were not even close to similarly cammed, and quite under cammed as well.  The VG is even bigger, so... how under cammed would you take this thing as a pusher piece? For falls? Just wondering how big I can push this thing.

Looking forward to putting this thing to use next weekend!

Cheers,

Andy
Jaybro
Wide Zombie

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 12:40:42 PM »

Percentage wise it's about he same as WC 's. however they do t have the stops the friends or camalots have and so can't be used like a nut in the wide open position like other cams can.

They have their own nuances as well. The spring tension is different than other cams. If you push it up from below, you gotta keep an eye out that each cam stays on the rock, as they don't always.  The best way to bump one, though scarier, is from above. Pull the cam up behind you, by the axle. Seems weird but becomes old hat with practice.
CalicoJack
5.6 Fist

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 12:12:18 PM »

Thanks Jaybro!  I've hauled it up a climb now & see what you mean regarding the spring tension details.  The thing is a beast & really does seem completely bomber when oriented in the direction of pull w/ all lobes engaged.

Cheers,

Andy
WideZac
5.7 Flare

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 11:57:54 AM »

So, I recently acquired a VG9 and every so often, something kinda gets tweaked on it and the lobes basically get stuck.  Really hard to move them in either direction.  I can pull on them with both hands and eventually get something to pop and they then go back to functional.  Luckily when I was pushing it up Mainstreet at the Voo, I was able to get both hands out and work on the cam.  Kinda scared if this were to happen when I am unable to get both hands on the thing...

Has this happened to anyone else?  Anything I can adjust/tighten/loosen to prevent this from happening?
RussWalling
Administrator
Wide Zombie

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 07:17:45 AM »

i fiddled around with mine and can't see how or what might cause this.  Can you describe it with any more detail?  Is it overcammed or something, or is this happening when it is not in the crack?

*** buy some swag!!!  http://www.FishProducts.com ***
WideZac
5.7 Flare

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 12:16:17 PM »

of course i can't manage to get it snagged here at home.  I think i have to be a bit more gripped.

it seems like it is just getting torqued a bit and then the lobes pinch on something and can't really move.  Oh well.  If it keeps bothering me, I'll try a little harder to figure it out.
Jaybro
Wide Zombie

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 06:00:48 AM »

Not had this problem with three or four of these of that size, that I have used. I have often had the problem where the cams don't stray in evan contact with the rock while bumping. Ie one cam seperates from the rock. My solution is to pull from above rather than push from below. Maybe that would help in your case?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 06:02:54 AM by Jaybro » Logged
WideJake
5.6 Fist

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 05:25:22 PM »

Hey Zac,
My VG #9 has the same thing going on.  There's a black plastic dowel thing around the axle that can freely rotate when everything is in working order.  Then when I pull the trigger and the lobes jam and don't spring back, that dowel thing is very hard to spin because something (lobes?) are jammed along the axle.

The lobes on mine sometimes have some play in them and sometimes not.  I'm thinking the axle is slightly bent inside there and when it gets in just the wrong spot, it jams up.  I don't yet have a solution to stop it from happening.

I can post a video of this if anyone else wants to play detective...
WideJake
5.6 Fist

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 05:33:02 PM »

I should add that I did thoroughly clean the cam in the sink to fix the sticky lobes and it worked!  But then it went back to getting stuck every now and then.  It's either in a mode where it's operating perfectly or in a mode where it gets jammed over and over.
WideJake
5.6 Fist

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 05:57:55 PM »

I think I just figured it out.  When it's stuck, a part of a loop of the spring coil is jammed between the inner cam lobe and the spacer between the lobes.  I'd be curious to find out if the same thing is happening to your VG...
RussWalling
Administrator
Wide Zombie

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 11:33:27 AM »

Sounds like you are on to something.  I'll check mine out again.

Jaybro
Wide Zombie

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 07:45:15 PM »

Check out the cloud nines, when you get a chance.
Jaybro
Wide Zombie

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 01:48:57 AM »

Check out the cloud nines, when you get a chance.
RussWalling
Administrator
Wide Zombie

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 03:34:33 PM »

where, how, who, and how much??

leftwich
5.6 Fist

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 08:19:58 PM »

KY, Bridgeport, El Barto, payment is always received in the form of gas station chili dogs
Jaybro
Wide Zombie

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 08:52:08 PM »

batguano
5.6 Fist

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2016, 05:41:14 AM »

Marginal Goods for marginal people... that's what I always say.

Russ Walling, I have something for you.  It's a care package of sorts, all I need is your address.
Jaybro
Wide Zombie

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 01:18:38 PM »

Make Russ guess......
batguano
5.6 Fist

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 04:48:14 AM »

Maybe Russ would prefer I guess the street address....
Jaybro
Wide Zombie

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2016, 06:12:43 AM »

http://www.fishproducts.com

FISH Products
HC1 Box 696
Joshua Tree, Ca. 92252
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 01:45:54 PM by Jaybro » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: