General Category > Climbing SPRAY

SimulRapping

(1/3) > >>

RussWalling (has/been/hxm/Scots-Anglx):
Just landing this here

Ryan Tilley
Redmond, WA
In 2017 a friend and I climbed Time Wave. We used a safer simul rapping technique by clipping to each other and did not simul rap traversing pitches. On the way down we timed our rappels when simul rapping. During other multipitch climbs we timed our rappels when not simul rapping. We found that simul rapping was on about 35 seconds faster per pitch. In other words, we discovered that simul rapping saved very little time for a competent party (we work as rock guides) and the risk is significantly higher. As a result both of us have given-up simul rapping. It didn’t seem worth saving a few minutes overall on a long day. Just some food for thought given the many simul rapping accidents on routes in EPC, and the loss of some wonderful people in our community. Enjoy the rocks!

overwatch:
But what about looking cool and having a sense of superiority, did they factor that in to their timings? Huh? I didn't think so.

T Hock:
Tried it once BITD with a partner I trusted,
 found it way too sketchy and never did it again.   

RonAnderson:
  This simu- rapp crap was unheard of around my group.  Never even considered it.     Rapping was shytty enough as it was lol!   Hated to do that- Is as soon do a 2 mile descent than rap.. ;D 

Big Kahuna:
Rapping used to be one of my favorite parts of climbing until I started climbing in the Valley.  TBT it has scared the living shit out of me rapping off of bolts that I don't know if Warn Harding himself placed them or not.   :-X  Fucking sketchy shit to say the least.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version